Mel Trotter Ministries is a Christian organization and member of a broader Association of Gospel Rescue Missions (AGRM). As such, we have core statements of Christian belief that are captured here in the MTM Statement of Faith. The Statement of Faith begins with the Apostle's Creed and then continues with additional statements also representative of our beliefs.
The Apostle's Creed contains a brief summary of the teachngs of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ. It sets forth their beliefs in a simple way, with concise language, in excellent order, and with a spirit of dignity and worship. It is recognized as a symbol of faith that represents many different Christian denominations. This allows for a safe and non-judgmental work environment for differing ways of practicing these beliefs and diversity in thought not central to our core beliefs.
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to hell.
On the third day he rose again.
He ascended to heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.
- We have all sinned, are broken, and have come short of being in favor with God. We meet our guests and fellow team members at their place of brokenness and walk alongside them to help them discover the life that God intends them to have.
- The journey of discovery is one of faith. Faith is surrendering to what is, letting go of what was, and having a belief of what will be. This means turning away from sinful choices and following Jesus, trying to live the life He teaches us to live.
- We acknowledge that being homeless, living at or near poverty, having addictions, dealing with behavioral or mental health issues, or working through other struggles, doesn't mean a person does not have faith.
- We are imperfect people ministering to others, striving to know Jesus and make him known.
- Because we are a Christ centered mission and our guests live in community, we hold all staff, guests, volunteers, and visitors to the principles set out in the Ten Commandments. These can be summed up by the greatest commandment, "Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them." (Matthew 22:36-40, The Message)
Statement of Purpose
Mel Trotter Ministries exists for two reasons.
- we seek to end homelessness in West Michigan, one life at a time
- we seek to inspire those without faith in Christ to find it and help all move forward on their journey
Our mission, vision, and all of our divisions, departments, strategies, initiatives, programs, and services revolve around how to achieve these two reasons of existence. To further define the "how" of what we do, we've created the 7 Seeds of Transformation program summary
that we use to work with our guests, or journey with them. To learn more about these program and services, please click here.