They took the warrant off my record the same day, gave me time to work out a plan with the judge and have a good hearing at Mel Trotter.– Lee R., Community Outreach Court graduate
Legal challenges are a significant barrier to getting affordable housing and sustainable employment. Mel Trotter Ministries partners with various agencies to help guests and Heartside Community members overcome legal problems so they can step into the bright future God has planned for them.
Free legal services are offered to MTM guests on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month. This is primarily for consultation and information only. Legal guidance is provided by local volunteer attorneys and students from Cooley Law School. Our legal volunteers give confidential, educated advice and are not able to represent you in court.
By appointment only.
Appointments can be made by calling 616-588-8715.
Community Outreach Court
Community Outreach Court is a partnership between the 61st District Court and various Heartside Neighborhood agencies and is hosted at Mel Trotter Ministries every other month.
Attendees who attend Community Outreach Court receive:
- Opportunity to check their record for misdemeanor offenses, without concern for being arrested.
- Access to legal support from volunteer legal advisors.
- Support from an agency case worker to help you work through a plan.
- Opportunity to interact with local law enforcement without concern for being arrested.
- Opportunity to interact with a judge from 61st District Court and receive grace to clear up offenses.