Chief Operations Officer
This position is responsible for overseeing, guiding, and directing the operations department, which consists of food service, facilities, human resources, payroll and employee benefits, and the volunteer program. In addition to ensuring day to day operational compliance and excellence in these areas, this position oversees projects, develops and implements plans to achieve organizational strategic initiatives, and supports actions to minimize risk management and safety issues.
- Supervise the Director of Facilities in overseeing and directing building maintenance, and the maintenance of grounds, parking lots, and sidewalks.
- Ensure remodel and construction projects are accomplished timely and with excellence, including ensuring equipment is in good repair.
- Supervise the Director of Food Service in the management of all areas of the Food Service Department including Dining Services, Food Distribution, and Food Pantry.
- Ensure positive relationships with vendors, seeking mutual benefit and an overall positive image of MTM.
- Oversee and manage the overall provision of Human Resource services, policies, and programs for the organization.
- Originates and leads Human Resource practices and objectives that provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity and standards, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce.
- Oversee the volunteer program, supervising the Volunteer Coordinator to make sure volunteers are in place as needed to support operations and also working with the community service program to help support their goals.
- Strategize with the Volunteer Coordinator on initiatives towards engaging volunteers to reach a deeper involvement with MTM, whereby they may become donors or ambassadors in the community.
- Manage special projects and directed
- Oversee the Excellence Strategy category of the organization’s multi-year strategic plan
- Vision and Strategy - clear picture of future state and actions to achieve it
- Fiscal Responsibility (Organization) - wise use of monetary resources
- Business Acumen - intuitive and applicable understanding of the local, state and national issues and policies relating to rescue missions
- External Awareness - up to date on local and national influences
- Area Expertise - viewed as having expert level knowledge
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - ability to reach the best possible outcome
- Conflict Resolution - facilitate a peaceful end to conflict
- Building and Maintaining Relationships - positive and productive relationships
- Change Management - transitioning others to a desired future state
- Team Building and Management - team members are supportive, equipped, inspired and respectful
- Financial Responsibility (Department) - wise use of monetary resources
- Business Acumen - intuitive and applicable understanding of the organization
- Customer Experience - exceed customer expectations
- Servant Leadership - serve all levels of the ministry with the heart of Jesus
- Faith - Commitment to faith-based approach to advocacy for the guests
- Sensitivity - competently communicate across racial, class and cultural divides
- Attendance/Punctuality - reliable and dependable
- Communication - prompt, courteous, respectful, helpful, appropriate, correct
- Initiative - takes appropriate action without being asked
- Attitude - positive and supportive of the work and organization
- Team Participation - supports and helps others
- Accountability - demonstrates responsibility
- Cooperation - willing to hear the thoughts of others and work toward a common goal
- Integrity/Credibility - honest and adheres to moral and ethical principles; trustworthy
- Compassion - concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others, leading to action and advocacy
- Experience networking with high profile professionals and entrepreneurs
- Experience with relationship development and management
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a related senior level role
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Required to talk and hear
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.
- Print the application and complete it
- E-mail, fax, or mail completed application (along with a cover letter and resume, if appropriate) to:
Mel Trotter Ministries
225 Commerce Ave. SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503