Director of Development
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Director of Development - Full-time
Mel Trotter Ministries is offering an opportunity for a highly-focused, self-driven, creative thought leader, with a proven track record of relationship based fundraising, to lead our dynamic and energized development team. Our Director of Development will create and execute strategy to grow and manage our major gifts program, and to hone our team. The Director of Development will identify, solicit, cultivate, and steward new donors and foundations, alongside fellow professionals, resulting in major gifts for both operational and campaign funding for Mel Trotter Ministries
We will trust you with:
- Manage and grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements
- Oversee the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Oversee fund raising special events
- Direct employee fundraising drives
- Oversee prospect research
- Work closely with the Chief Strategy Officer and Chief Campaign Officer
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Mel Trotter Ministries with the community
- Staff Finance/Development Committee meetings
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems
- Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times
- Perform other related duties as requested
Bring your strengths:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Five years of professional fundraising, or five years in a related field
- Knowledgeable and experienced in fundraising techniques, specifically major gift fundraising
- Established leader, skillful in motivating staff, board members, and volunteers.
- Interacts skillfully in the community, successfully building external relationships
- Highly connected in local donor circles and non-profit organizations
- Highly organized, with a proven track record of follow-through and goal achievement
- Professional verbal and written communication
- Self-starter, goal driven in initiating donor visits and fundraising calls
- Exhibits consistently positive behaviors, demonstrates self-awareness, excellent conflict resolution skills, and active listening
- Embraces the mission of Mel Trotter Ministries
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Required to talk and hear
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.