Director of Development
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Director of Development
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Mel Trotter Ministries fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving and special events. The Director works closely with the Vice President of Advancement and Communication in all development and fundraising endeavors and strategies.
This position will manage and lead a robust team of 5-7 Development Officers/Gift Advisors, and oversee at least two critical vendor relationships at all times, namely, Money for Ministry and the Barnabas Foundation.
The Director of Development will also be responsible for analyzing and reporting of YoY revenue results, moves management indicators and results, and overall market trends.
We will trust you with:
- Manage and grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them
- Oversee the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives
- Oversee fundraising special events in conjunction with Corporate Sponsorship and Events Specialist
- Direct employee fundraising drives
- Oversee prospect research
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems
- Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff
- Contribute to the creation of publications to support fundraising activities
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- Perform other related duties as requested
Bring your strengths:
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of five years of professional fundraising experience, with 5-10 years preferred
- CRM understanding and experience, specifically as it relates to responsive fundraising
- Knowledgeable and experienced in fundraising techniques, including major gift, business and enterprise, and new and recurring donor fundraising
- Established leader, skillful in motivating staff and volunteers
- Interacts skillfully and is highly connected in the community, adept at building relationships
- Highly organized, with a proven track record of follow-through and goal achievement
- Professional verbal and written communication
- Exhibits consistently positive behaviors, demonstrates self-awareness, excellent conflict resolution skills, and active listening
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Able to lift up to 35 pounds occasionally, 20 pounds regularly
- Able to use fine motor hand functions