Emergency Shelter Advocate
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Women's Emergency Shelter Advocate
This position is a daily point of contact for all emergency shelter guests. Responsibilities include the ability to assess the needs and identified barriers that brought the Guest into shelter, educate the guests on various program options either at MTM or in the community and assist them with making the transition out of emergency shelter. This person will be responsible for ensuring timely data entry into the Homeless Management Information System, and to assist with reporting requirements. This position provides spiritual support, guidance and encouragement for all guests.
We will trust you with:
- With the assistance of Day Center Team Lead and GSS staff; identify and schedule emergency shelter guests in need of triage. Will be responsible for the completion of triage, focusing in particular on guests that have accessed emergency shelter for an extended length of time
- Provide solution-focused case management services with the goal of helping emergency shelter guest’s transition into either the Restoration program or identifying a more appropriate service within the community
- Maintain open communication with Program Advocates on referrals being made for Restoration Programs and assist with preparing the guests for entry into the program
- Through HMIS, determine if shelter guests have completed a VI SPDAT and if not, assist in scheduling for completion either through HAP or onsite. Demonstrate proficiency in administering VI SPDAT’s and ensure that they are completed within the required timeframe, as needed
- Regularly communicate with guests including one-on-one sessions and provide spiritual mentoring and prayer if requested
- With the assistance of Day Center advocate help oversee the schedule of outside agencies using the Day Center to meet with guests.
- Monitor, and assist with evening chapel services, bible study, and on-site classes as needed
- Demonstrate proficiency in VCM and HMIS and utilize it on a daily basis to receive and share information. This includes ensuring that all entries and exits for shelter guests are put into HMIS within the required timeframe.
- Communicate daily with management and other staff as needed to ensure policy and program guidelines are being met
Bring your strengths:
- Knowledge of job skills training
- Experience in organizing and holding accountable different types of working teams
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Required to talk and hear
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Occasionally exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.
- Print the application and complete it
- E-mail, fax, or mail completed application (along with a cover letter and resume, if appropriate) to:
Mel Trotter Ministries
225 Commerce Ave. SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503