Emergency Medical Technician/Medical Assistant
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Emergency Medical Technician/Medical Assistant- Full-time 1st and 3rd Shift
We will trust you with:
- Admission/discharge of guests in the Public Inebriate shelter, expert use of exclusion criteria, when appropriate
- Observe guests for medical emergencies, initiate CPR/AED as needed, take and monitor vital signs
- Encourage guests to remain until they are sober enough to be safe and fully responsible for themselves.
- Maintain order in the Public Inebriate Shelter; use verbally de-escalation techniques
- Assist in maintaining a clean, sanitary, and safe environment for our guests; for example, sweeping floors, removing garbage, making beds, doing the laundry, etc.
- Answer emergency calls throughout the shelter
- Assist in providing TB skin tests, drug screens
- Provide patient care using critical reasoning skills and ethical judgement that supports a safe standard of care, advocacy for patients in an alternative healthcare environment
- Maintain accurate guest records, using approved platforms and guidelines
- Participate in all mandatory meetings and in-service training sessions.
Bring your strengths:
- Current CPR Certification, Certification for administering lab tests (TB, Drug Screen)
- Able to perform two cycles to current AHA/ARC standard
- Ability to take vital signs which include blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and temperature (or capable of training)
- Prefer minimum 3 years of experience
- Effective team player, yet highly effective and production when working solo shifts.
- Desire and capability to relate effectively with chemically dependent persons
- Strong, effective communicator with guests, co-workers, medical personnel, law enforcement
- Knowledge of symptoms which indicate medical emergencies (or capable of training)
- Crisis intervention training and/or experience, including de-escalation training
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, and guest record-keeping software platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, professional business writing
- Models professionalism
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Required to talk and hear
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.
- Print the application and complete it
- E-mail, fax, or mail completed application (along with a cover letter and resume, if appropriate) to:
Mel Trotter Ministries
225 Commerce Ave. SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503