Public Inebriate Shelter/Y.E.S. Shelter/Guest Safety Services
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
We will trust you with:
Guest Services/ Youth Emergency Shelter and Public Inebriate Shelter
- Provide a warm transition for youth and P.I. guests to work with our advocates and coordinators, and/or community organizations who can assist them in meeting their goals.
- Interacts with and supervises youth during daily activities in the YES shelter
- Administers agency based screening tools to help assist in goal setting and referrals for Y.E.S. shelter guest.
- Recognize each guest as the expert in their own lives and empower them to set their own goals and recognize their own strengths
- Identify youth who will be participating in the Pre-Restoration Program and assist with that process.
- Assist nurses with requests for aid in Public Inebriate and/or Recuperation areas
- Identify P.I. guests who are interested in pursuing life change by considering enrolling in a program, and perhaps non-medical detox.
- Provide guest service to all MTM guests, and provide support to all MTM GSS teammates by interacting and assisting throughout the mission as needed
- Model and promote Mel Trotter’s mission statement, along with practicing the Positive Youth Development, Trauma Informed Care, and Harm Reduction models.
- In coordination with the Youth Program Coordinator, Emergency Shelter Advocate, Step-up Program Advocate, provide connections to guests to help them develop a personalized case plan that identifies goals and steps to achieve them, including individualized contact
- Provides documentation and reports for all intake and case management support
Guest Safety Services/ Building-wide
- Assist the rest of the HR team by ensuring and maintaining a peaceful and safe environment. Maintain a presence with guests, conduct rounds and perimeter checks, monitor security cameras, monitor radio traffic, provide entry searches.
- Monitor guest behavior. Ensure MTM policies and procedures are adhered to, by use of non-aggressive, non-physical language and behavior. Engage law enforcement or medical personnel as needed.
- Assist with the Bag Room, Tote Room, Scrub Room for assistance and storage of guest belongings.
- Quickly assess, recognize, and appropriately intervene in difficult conversations and escalating behaviors, in their area of focus and throughout the organization
Communication and Record Keeping
- Perform administrative duties using designated computer software systems, or other method to ensure guest and shift paperwork is completed timely and accurately.
- Promptly communicate guest issues or concerns with advocates and leadership
- Direct and guide interns and volunteers (including community service workers), ensuring they are adhering to position requirements and MTM policies and practices.
- Assist in the monitoring and reporting of building cleanliness and sanitation issues, and help with cleaning duties as needed (in particular staff storage and office areas)
Bring your strengths:
- Experience in working with youth in crisis and knowledge of trauma informed care practices and an ability to establish a rapport with them.
- Ability to motivate others towards achieving their goals
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of focus, a non-judgmental demeanor, willingness to walk alongside youth as they process their transitions, and a clear sense of boundaries
- Ability to work in a variety of settings with culturally diverse youth and communities, as well as highly intoxicated people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Certification in CPR and First Aid
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Prefer 3 years’ experience in residential care, counseling, or crisis intervention
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Models professionalism
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Required to talk or hear
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.
- Print the application and complete it
- E-mail, fax, or mail completed application (along with a cover letter and resume, if appropriate) to:
Mel Trotter Ministries
225 Commerce Ave. SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503