Communication Event Internship
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Communication Event Internship
The communication intern will assist the MTM communication team with producing strategies, tactics and executing support for various Mel Trotter Ministries marketing and PR efforts in winter/spring of 2020. The intern will assist with social media messaging, public relations outreach and get experience with various media relations and event tactics to promote the mission of MTM. A $500 stipend will be issued upon successful completion of internship.
You will learn and get the opportunity to:
- Create a public relations plan to promote awareness of Mel Trotter Ministries
- Outreach to local media and keeping media contact lists updated
- Team up with the Communication Coordinator on incorporating a website and social media strategy that aligns with MTM brand
- Supporting MTM events
- Promote MTM’s brand to increase volunteering and donations
- Assist MTM program staff in identifying MTM guests for potential interviews/story features
- Establish goals and metrics to assess whether goals have been met at the end of the event
- Other public relations and marketing duties as assigned
Bring your strengths:
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate or master’s degree program at a college/university. Working toward a degree in hospitality, public relations, marketing, communication or related field.
- Sophomore level standing or above
- Existing portfolio of work (school or professional) including event plan or public relations plan
- Proven success in a deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated confidence and compassion
- Creative and technical writing skills
- Must be a self-motivated person with a passion for connecting with people
- Excellent time management and organization
- Ability to be flexible with project duties and have a positive attitude
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Ability to communicate verbally and to accurately hear
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, and up to 35 pounds regularly
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.