Communication Event Internship
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Communication Event Internship
The Communication Events Intern will assist the MTM Communication team with producing strategies, tactics and executing the Mel Trotter Ministries Events in fall of 2019. The intern will plan, promote and lead the annual Turkey Drop event and support other fall events including in-kind drives and the Thanksgiving Community Meal and other areas as needed.
$500 stipend upon completion of internship.
You will learn and get the opportunity to:
- Create and execute an event plan for MTM Turkey Drop 2019
- Work alongside the MTM creative team to develop a design theme
- Develop and execute a public relations plan for the event, including writing press releases and identifying creative ways to engage the public
- Team up with the Communication Coordinator on incorporating a social media strategy that aligns with MTM brand
- Collaborate with MTM volunteer coordinator to utilize volunteers for the day of Turkey Drop, November 20, 2019
- Promote MTM’s brand to increase attendance and donations
- Assist MTM program staff in identifying MTM guests for potential interviews/story features
- Work with MTM facilities staff on logistics for the event
- Establish goals and metrics to assess whether goals have been met at the end of the event
- Assist with other event preparation as needed (food/in-kind drives, Thanksgiving Community Meal, etc.)
Bring your strengths:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or master’s degree program at college/university working toward a degree in hospitality, public relations, marketing, communication or related field/program
- Prefer an existing portfolio of work (school or professional) including event plan or public relations plan
- Display confidence and compassion with preferred success in a deadline-driven environment
- Creative and technical writing skills
- Ability to work independently (at least 5-10 hours weekly) and execute tasks remotely at times
- Flexibility with project duties while practicing excellent time management and organization
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Ability to communicate verbally and to accurately hear
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, and up to 35 pounds regularly
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.