Major Gifts Officer
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Major Gifts Officer- Full-time, 1st Shift
We will trust you with:
- Assist donors in accomplishing their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with Mel Trotter.
- Work with the development team to align efforts, set goals and determine the donors may be planned giving prospects.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of the fund development strategic and tactics plans, including prospecting, stewardship and cultivation programs, as well as establishing timelines.
- Determine what existing donors can be moved to major donor prospects (from Raisers Edge); determine what individuals that are associated with a corporation, that are appropriate prospective individual donors.
- Categorize passions of individual major donors and ask them to plan events that would showcase their passion as it relates to our Rescue and Restoration programs. Coordinate with event planner and communications team to maximize the experience and exposure.
Relationship Building, Information Sharing
- Manage systems and software. Track and cultivate donors/NEW prospects.
- Contact/visit major donors quarterly.
- Engage with the community through events.
- Personalize annual fund letters.
- Partner with current donors to host small gatherings to introduce prospective donors to MTM; coordinate with event planner and communications team; coordinate gatherings with MTM priorities (capital campaign, housing, jobs).
- Review from time to time other major gift programs for new and innovative ideas
- Pursue ongoing training: effective strategies for current/prospective donors.
- Work alongside MTM Planned Giving Advisory Committee.
Bring your strengths:
- Bachelor’s Degree, skilled knowledge of charitable giving through estate planning
- Five years’ proven track record initiating and cultivating donor relationships, resulting in exceptional fundraising results
- Highly connected in local donor circles and non-profit organizations, including consistent personal history of giving
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and professional verbal and written communication
- Productive independent worker and positive team participant with excellent relationship building skills
- Highly organized, with excellent attention to detail and timeliness
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and donor database use (including, but not limited to Raiser’s Edge, Donor Search)
- Ability to gather, analyze and utilize donor, numerical, and financial data
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Ability to communicate verbally and to accurately hear, with hearing correction
- Ability to see 20/20, with vision correction
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, and up to 35 pounds regularly
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.
- Print the application and complete it
- E-mail, fax, or mail completed application (along with a cover letter and resume, if appropriate) to:
Mel Trotter Ministries
225 Commerce Ave. SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503