Major Gifts Officer
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic, compassionate difference-makers. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. We strive to impact our community, ending homelessness, one person at a time. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team, see what we can do together, through the power and compassion of Jesus Christ.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Major Gifts Officer- Full-time, 1st Shift
Mel Trotter Ministries is investing in an opportunity for a highly-focused, self-driven, creative thought leader, with a proven track record of relationship based fundraising, to join our dynamic and energized development team. As an integral part of this team, our Major Gifts Officer will contribute to strategy and execution of successful fundraising efforts. The MGO will identify, solicit, cultivate, and steward new donors and foundations, alongside fellow professionals, resulting in major gifts for both operational and campaign funding for Mel Trotter Ministries.
We will trust you with:
- Develop and cultivate relationships with assigned donors
- Cultivate new donor contacts for future donor solicitation
- Complete proposals and key donor correspondence as needed
- Collaborate to ensure donor awareness and participation in events
- Work within the team to plan and coordinate relationship development
- Spend majority of work time out of the office meeting donors in the community
- Research and identify sources of support, proactively seek opportunities to generate new donor proposals based on interests and alignment with Mel Trotter Ministries. Emphasis is high value philanthropic commitments
- Maintain the integrity of the donor database with current and accurate information
- Generate creative ideas to help sustain fundraising efforts
- Provide donor history and records to Development, Executive Staff and Board
- Meet and exceed monthly, annual and sponsorship metrics and goals
- Identify funding opportunities and support the proposal submission process by working collaboratively with the Grant Writer, as needed
- Work to increase awareness for Mel Trotter Mission’s full scope of services
- Practice relationship management, strengthening donor and prospect contacts
- Fulfill data and reporting requests, production of donor lists, progress updates and data extractions, for analytical purposes
- Arrange donor site visits as needed
Bring your strengths:
- Bachelor’s Degree, skilled knowledge of charitable giving through estate planning
- Five years’ proven track record initiating and cultivating donor relationships, resulting in exceptional fundraising results
- Highly connected in local donor circles and non-profit organizations, including consistent personal history of giving
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and professional verbal and written communication
- Productive independent worker and positive team participant with excellent relationship building skills
- Highly organized, with excellent attention to detail and timeliness
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and donor database use (including, but not limited to Raiser’s Edge, Donor Search)
- Ability to gather, analyze and utilize donor, numerical, and financial data
- Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
- Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
- Ability to communicate verbally and to accurately hear, with hearing correction
- Ability to see 20/20, with vision correction
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, and up to 35 pounds regularly
- Able to use fine motor hand functions
- Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
*Applications and resumes are accepted for current positions only.
- Print the application and complete it or stop into the downtown location for a paper copy
- Apply online
- E-mail, fax, or mail completed application (along with a cover letter and resume, if appropriate) to:
Mel Trotter Ministries
225 Commerce Ave. SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503