Code Blue Winter Drive
October 1 - December 31, 2019
"Code blue” is a term used by MTM describe the most extreme winter conditions in West Michigan, when temperatures fall significantly and stay below freezing over a period of time - putting men, women and children who are exposed to the elements at severe risk of hypothermia, frost bite or even death.
During this time, Mel Trotter Ministries staff take extra precautions to ensure our homeless neighbors are safe, warm and know the love of Jesus Christ...but we need your help to make sure we can provide supplies for everyone who needs help this winter.
Winter Warm Up List
URGENT NEED - With the cold weather upon us, we are in desperate need of winter coats for men and women. All sizes.
New or like-new items for men, women & children. All ages and sizes.
- Hand warmers (new only)
- Winter coats
- Waterproof winter boots
- Hats (Please no handmade hats)
- Wool or fleece socks
- Long underwear
Consider making a gift to help purchase these much needed items for those experiencing homelessness.
You may collect any of the items requested above and drop them off at any of the Code Blue drop-off sites listed below. Look for the blue barrels that say “Code Blue Drive”.
- Mel Trotter Ministries downtown (225 Commerce Avenue SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503)
- Mel Trotter Ministries Thrift Stores (7500 Cottonwood Drive, Jenison, MI 49428)
- Mel Trotter Ministries Thrift Stores (538 S. State Street, Sparta, MI 49345)
- Mel Trotter Ministries Thrift Stores (2111 W. Main Street, Lowell, MI 4933
- 601 Bond Apartments (601 Bond Ave. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503)
- BC Pizza (1133 W. State Street, Belding, MI 48809)
- Blue Water Grill (5180 Northland Drive NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525)
- Builders Exchange of Michigan (678 Front Avenue NW #330, Grand Rapids, MI 49504)
- Eastern Floral (2836 Broadmoor Ave. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49512)
- Everett's Gardens (240 84th Street SE, Byron Center, MI 49315)
- Fusion Academy Scholarship Foundation (72 Monroe Center NW, Suite B, Grand Rapids, MI 49503)
- May Mobility (625 First Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504)
- Midtowne Smiles (555 Mid Towne Smiles Dr., Suite 104, Grand Rapids MI 49503)
- Monsma Marketing Corporation (2450 Buchanan Ave. SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49548)
- Woodland Family Chiropractic, a MaxLiving Health Center (3682 29th St SE Suite A, Grand Rapids, MI 49512)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Code Blue Drive?
Code Blue means that people experiencing homelessness are in danger of hypothermia, frost bite and other cold weather related injuries if they do not seek shelter. During this time, MTM staff take extra precautions to ensure our homeless neighbors are safe and warm.
How does my company/church become a Code Blue Drive drop-off site?
Contact: Courtney O'Malia, 616-588-8784 or email@example.com.
Pick up a blue barrel at Mel Trotter Ministries downtown location to collect donated items.
Your location will be added to the website as a public drop off location.
I would like to donate used clothes or items.
While we are grateful that you are thinking of helping people who are experiencing homelessness, please carefully consider what you donate before you give. It is our priority to help our guests feel dignified and valued. We only accept new or like-new items that are washed and clean.
Can I host drives at other times of the year?
If you’d like to host a drive other times of the year, Mel Trotter collects in-kind goods year-round. Please go to www.meltrotter.org/needs for details.
What happened to the Fall/Holiday Food Drive?
In an effort to reduce the duplication of services, Mel Trotter Ministries no longer hosts a food drive because there are several other agencies in the greater Grand Rapids area that support low-income families with emergency food supplies through their food pantry. If you would like more information about area food pantries, please call 2-1-1.
Have questions that weren't answered here? Call Courtney O'Malia, 616-588-8784 or .