Donor Advised Fund
Donor Advised Fund
A Donor Advised Fund (DAF) is a relatively new tool for charitable giving. A donor-advised fund is like a charitable investment account, for the sole purpose of supporting charitable organizations you care about, like Mel Trotter Ministries. A Donor Advised Fund provides you with a simple, flexible and tax-efficient opportunity to have a tremendous Kingdom impact. You can give to a single fund and then request grants be made to one or multiple ministries that are close to your heart. We have many donors who choose to give to Mel Trotter through a DAF. We are not only grateful, but are blessed by witnessing firsthand, the ways in which this kind of donation is directly impacting the lives of the most vulnerable population, as well as individuals who find themselves in the middle of a crisis situation—that they never planned for.
The 2018 Tax Cuts & Jobs Act nearly doubled the Standard Deduction and eliminated or restricted many itemized deductions in 2018. Many donors were now unable to deduct their charitable donations because of the limitations. Because of this change Donor advised funds became popular because if a donor could afford to fund a Donor Advised Fund with enough to bring them over the standard deduction amount. Tax advisors suggested that you fund a Donor Advised Fund every other year to take advantage of the higher deduction every other year. It would also give the donor a great deal of flexibility because they would receive an immediate tax deduction, but would not have to distribute 100% of the funds in one year.
Benefits of Using a Donor Advised Fund
- Timing. Receive an immediate tax deduction at the time you make a gift into your Donor Advised Fund. There are many different providers that you can use to establish a Donor Advised Fund. We would encourage you to look at The Barnabas Foundation or The West Michigan Christian Foundation., You can also contact your individual financial advisor or accountant, who can help you in setting one up. Then, at a time that works best for you, simply advise your Donor Advised Trustee how you wish your gifts to be distributed and they will prepare and mail your contribution checks for you.
- Flexibility. Grants can be requested at any time of the day using convenient online e-grant systems. You may choose to give in one-time or recurring increments, and you may choose to designate your gift to meet specific organizational needs.
- Simplicity. Simplify your giving and record-keeping by making all gifts of cash, stocks or appreciated assets into a single account. A Donor Advised Fund (DAF) can be set up through, Barnabas Ministries, West Michigan Christian Foundation, or your personal financial advisory firm.
- Privacy. You can choose to make any or all grants anonymously.
- Expertise. Benefit from the knowledge and expertise of professional organizations who will manage and liquidate your non-cash asset gifts for the benefit of charitable causes.
- Cost-effective. Many families choose to use their Donor Advised Fund account as a cost-effective alternative to establishing a private foundation.
We Can Help
Let us help!
Diane W. Hyland, our Planned Giving Advisor would enjoy the opportunity to meet with you personally to answer any questions you may have and guide you through the process. She can be contacted at 616-588-8732 or .