Give a gift from your Individual Retirement Account
If you are 70 ½ or older, you can make a sizable gift to a ministry from your individual retirement account (IRA) AND receive significant tax benefits in return.
Benefits of Giving from Your IRA
Convenient. An easy way to give to your favorite charity.
Tax-wise. Distributions made directly to charity are not treated as taxable income. Advantageous even if you don’t itemize deductions on your tax returns!
Promises kept. Gifts from your IRA can be used to fulfill any charitable giving pledges previously made.
Impactful. Gifts are tax-free to the charity. The entirety of your gift will go toward ministry!
Requirements of a Qualified Charitable Distribution
You can give from your IRA to Mel Trotter Ministries without any federal tax liability, as long as the gifts are qualified charitable distributions (QCDs).
Distributions qualify for all or part of an IRA owner’s required minimum distribution (RMD).
- IRA holders must be age 70 ½ or older at the time of the gift.
- Give up to $100,000 per year as a single person or $200,000 per year as a married couple from separate accounts.
- Gifts must be outright gifts made directly to a charitable organization.
- Distributions to donor-advised funds, charitable trusts or for charitable gift annuities are not permissible.
- Distributions may only be made from traditional IRAs or Roth IRAs; other retirement accounts are not eligible.
“Consistency is so important, getting to see the same person every other week. I love to interact with everyone at Mel Trotter. This makes me happy,” said Sharon with a smile. “I hit rock bottom but I never gave up. I try to say that to everyone I meet—to never give up.”
Sharon smiled at every person who came through her line for COVID-19 screening and testing at Mel Trotter Ministries. She chatted with each one, asked how they were doing, did her best to make everyone feel at ease and cared for. Doing so is her job as a patient service representative for Binson Nursing and Staffing, but it’s also because she knows and loves Mel Trotter Ministries.
*Names and faces have been changed to protect the privacy of our guests.